Karpaz Gate Marina has announced the appointment of a new Harbour Master to join its award-winning team on the Karpaz peninsula in North Cyprus.
Bahadir Gökçetekin, a qualified naval architect and marine engineer with extensive experience in boatyard work, technical repair and refit servicing, started his new role at the 2017 TYHA International Marina of the Year at the end of April. A key aspect of his duties is to use his shipyard management skills to continue to establish the Karpaz Gate Marina Boatyard as one of the leading facilities in the East Mediterranean.
Fluent in both his native Turkish and English, Gökçetekin arrives in North Cyprus after spending the last few years managing complete vessel renewal projects in Turkey, including refitting, outfitting and delivery, for a range of boats and yachts. He also has a strong background in the superyacht industry following his time as Project Manager for a yacht management and consulting company in Istanbul where he was involved in overseeing specialist mechanical and technical tasks on motoryachts and other boats.
The 44-year-old, who studied at Istanbul Technical University, takes over from previous Harbour Master Deniz Akaltan, who has filled the role for the seven-year period since Karpaz Gate Marina first opened for business in 2011. Gökçetekin joins a team of personnel that is widely praised by berth holders and visitors for creating a friendly, community-spirited atmosphere and for providing 5 Gold Anchor-standard service and attention for its clients. He strengthens the marina technical team, based at the on-site boatyard featuring a 18,000 square metre dry dock and 300-ton capacity travel hoist.
Commenting on his new role, Gökçetekin said: “I am really looking forwarded to joining such a successful marina team, meeting all of our berth holders and welcoming new friends in the coming months. With my background in engineering, I am particularly excited to get involved with managing the boatyard with its great facilities and travel lift, so I can help to ensure boatowners are getting a very reliable and comprehensive service with access to all the technical capabilities they require.
“I greatly admire the way in which Karpaz Gate Marina has opened up this beautiful area of the East Mediterranean to sailors and has so quickly become such a popular and unique homeport and destination. I feel very proud to start contributing to the continued growth and enhancement of Karpaz Gate Marina’s status as one of the Mediterranean’s premium marinas.”
The Karpaz Gate Marina Boatyard has experienced staff available to conduct and execute any scope of project, while the duty-free status at the marina provides extra benefits for clients with savings on spare parts, fuel, technical service and supplies. Regular technical work on offer at the boat yard includes hull cleaning and sanding, changing anodes, cleaning of shafts and anodes, plus the application of primer.
Liza Singer, Owner’s Representative for Karpaz Gate Marina, said: “We welcome Bahadir to our family and we are excited for him to join our commitment to Karpaz and North Cyprus. One of our main focus areas over the coming years is to continue the development of our boatyard as one of the region’s best technical centres. With this in mind, our new Harbour Master has been carefully selected for his technical and engineering expertise and project management skills. I am confident that he shares our values of providing a welcoming home and community for our clients and that he can help the team maintain our current high standards.”
With 300 berths and the capability to accommodate up to 60m vessels, Karpaz Gate Marina is renowned as a safe haven with premier berthing services for yachts and superyachts and their crew, and is also a unique Mediterranean destination. It is the perfect base from which to enjoy the relaxing surroundings and facilities of the Karpaz Peninsula and explore the stunning and historic North Cyprus region featuring ancient castles and abbeys, vibrant culture and enticing cuisine.
For more information about roles available at Karpaz Gate Marina, please call Oykun Erureten on (+90) (0)533 825 3990, or visit the ‘Jobs’ section on the website at www.karpazbay.com to view the latest vacancies or to complete a general application form.
Find Karpaz Gate Marina on Twitter: @KarpazGate
About Karpaz Gate Marina
In a time when boat owners and sailors in the Mediterranean are burdened with increasing bureaucracy and taxation issues, Karpaz Gate Marina offers a real sanctuary.
The first modern marina in North Cyprus is positioned to provide all its berth holders and visitors with a welcome haven from most of the costly and time-consuming procedures that will probably continue to affect boat owners within the EU and in other regions.
Karpaz Gate Marina offers a range of benefits associated with the unique status of this untouched location in the Eastern Mediterranean. It is free from tax, outside of the EU yet geographically within its borders, free from complicated official paperwork, flexible on duration of stay and free from other irritating issues for relaxation-seeking boat owners.
Designed exclusively to fulfil the needs of boat owners, the 5 Gold Anchor-rated marina with fully-equipped boat yard is safe, secure, service-orientated and community-minded, offering exceptional value for money.
Find a home and a haven at Karpaz Gate Marina.
Karpaz Gate Marina Facts
Our Vision: Karpaz Gate Marina’s vision is to introduce the less travelled areas of the Eastern Mediterranean to the yachting sector, to lead the development of this region to create a widely recognised and attractive yachting tourism destination, and to establish the marina as the leading homeport in the Eastern Mediterranean.
- Location: the northern shore of the Karpaz Peninsula in North Cyprus, 20nm west of Cape Andreas and 48nm east of Girne (N35 33.5’ E34 13.6’)
- Awards: Karpaz Gate Marina was named The Yacht Harbour Association’s (TYHA) 2017 International Marina of the Year; TYHA’s top rating of 5 Gold Anchors was received in July 2013; ICOMIA Clean Marina standard achieved in July 2013
- Berths: 300 accommodating up to 60m vessels, including 15 berths for superyachts
- Berth services: power and fresh water available for every berth; TV connection; high speed Wi-Fi to all areas of the marina
- Security: 24/7 CCTV and security personnel throughout the marina as well as access control and access cards for each marina area
- Boat Yard: 18,000 square metres of dry storage area, with modern and fully-equipped workshops and a 300-ton travel lift accommodating yachts with a beam up to 10m
- Fuel: Euro diesel and gasoline available
- Duty Free status: includes duty-free prices on fuel, technical services and supplies, as well as berthing fees
- Leisure facilities: include Hemingway’s Resto-Bar; Beach Club, with 33m Infinity pool, watersports centre, private beach, children’s pool and play area, restaurant and bar; Cinema / Art Gallery; Mephisto Diving Centre; fitness centre/gym
- Cruising locations: there are miles of sandy beaches, coves and bays along the north east coast of Northern Cyprus, with Famagusta (67nm) and Girne (48nm) a short sail away. The nearby southern Turkish coastline includes the harbours of Alanya, Antalya, Marmaris and Bodrum. In just under 300 nautical miles it is possible to reach Rhodes, gateway to the Greek Islands
- On-site activities: include private Gallery Club, music and movie nights, BBQs, art exhibitions
- Shore services: include on-site mini-market, chandlery, laundry room, international currency ATM and Cyprus Yachts brokerage and new boat sales office
- Marina office services: include online weather updates; concierge and VIP service; airport collection service to/from nearest airports of Larnaca and Ercan
- Freshwater: produced on site
- Pollution controls: waste water collection and treatment plant; solid waste collection stations; bilge water collection service; waste engine oil collection stations; independent desalination plant on site
- Port of Entry: marina office provides full assistance with clearance procedures
- Group membership: ICOMIA Marinas Group (IMG); ‘Destinations’, a network of exclusive marinas established by ART Marine Marinas
- Management company: Sea-Alliance Group
- Harbour Master: Bahadir Gökçetekin
- Contact: Marina Office on VHF Channel 10 ‘Karpaz Gate Marina’. The marina also listens on Channel 16
- 2018 offers*: include a free haul out, hull wash and anti-fouling application with 14 days hard standing for annual berth holders; discounts on berthing rates; free ‘Special-Care Package’; ‘Freezing Option’ to suspend annual contract; individually-tailored packages
*Terms and Conditions apply